Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Spendid Sampler - Crocheted Thoughts

I was excited when I saw this block!  I have lots of crochet items and pieces from many of my now deceased family members.  Even some I made.  Sadly I don't know who made what, but I have a huge 2 ft x 2 ft bucket full of items.  I was lucky enough to find the perfect match with the golden fabric I'm using in this Sampler.  It's a bit tattered and broken, but still beautiful.

To protect the crochet, I adhered it between the blue background fabric and fine bridal netting.  Then I treated the layers as one piece of fabric.  Once in the quilt, there will be a small border of the golden fabric - only about 1/4" wide.  I needed more blank area than the original pattern called for.

Crocheted Thoughts
Keep on Stitchin'!!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the hint about using bridal netting. Like you, I have some vintage crocheted items from my mother and grandmother, but couldn't figure out how to protect them when using hem like this. This idea will work just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like a block I crocheted many years ago, but I didn't do it in a variagated thread, just in ecru. I have no recollection of what the pattern was called, as it was a LONG time ago, but I have this as a runner on a table. Great idea to use it in the block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ruby & Paul. At first I was going to sew the little piece down using invisible thread, but decided that would be too tedious. Using a fusible web worked great for me as it also stuck somewhat to the netting. The fusible I used has no backing and is very light. I used Fuse It from Marathon Threads. Never used Misty fusible, but I'm assuming this is similar.

    ReplyDelete