I wanted to make a mug rug with snowflakes and I wanted to use metallic threads. What was I thinking?? But after several stops and starts with the metallic threads, I found the settings my Bernina 830 machine liked. I created the snowflakes using the Bernina Embroidery Software and also digitized the scalloped quilting. Only thing I sewed was the binding and then decided to use a cute decorative stitch. Again, what was I thinking?? The decorative stitch is not perfect, but it was fun to do.
I recently purchased a pattern for a small appliqued snowman quilt. It's called Frosty's Alter Egos by Pieceful Designs. www.piecefuldesigns.com.
I don't hand applique, so I'm scanning the parts into my Bernina Embroidery Software and creating embroidered applique as well as the files to cut out the pieces using Bernina Cutwork. So far, I've gotten one snowman head digitized as well as the snowflake. I'm working on it in between other stuff. Wonder if I'll get this 40"x40" quilt done by 2015 Christmas!!
Image from Software
Snowflake image from software
Hatched in Africa www.hatchedinafrica.com has just released a set of snowmen that I just love! Stack 'Em Snowmen. I think these would look great in the side borders of this little quilt. If you know me at all, you know I use mostly designs from Hatched in Africa.
And it seems I'm on a mug rug kick. Made another and have one more in the works. I'll be giving some of these away and keeping some for myself! This was done by me and is all in the hoop. I wanted a winter mug rug and not a Christmas one, but wish I'd used stronger colors for the purple scarf and hat trim. It's mine to keep, so I'm happy with it.
Decided to take a break from making quilt blocks and do something fast, easy, and fun. First I thought I'd make a mouse pad, since I'd not made one from scratch. Besides I purchased some beautiful fine threads while at the Houston Quilt Show that kept asking me to use them. So off I go to the internet looking for mug rug ideas! WOW! Did I ever find ideas! I was only going to make one mug rug.....
I decided to make a cute birdie mug rug and turn under the edges of the applique and machine stitch them down. I haven't done much applique...so keep this in mind! Found some left overs from a previous quilt for the background. Made applique templates from freezer paper, ironed on the fabric, trimmed about 1/4" from the paper, and began to turn under the edges, applying a bit of starch so they would stay folded when ironed. Man! This is tedious! No wonder I don't like traditional applique! But I love the thread and even close up, it blends in so nicely. Did a bit of free motion quilting, too.
So over the next few days, I..........
decided to try leaving the edges flat and using decorative machine stitches on an owl. Also added some ricrac trim and more decorative machine stitches. He was fun and not quite so tedious.
Next, I thought I'd create a painter's pallete mug rug in my embroidery software and use the buttonhole stitch around the edges and adding quilting lines. Not bad!
Then I decided to do one more, using a design from a past Bernina Software Sampler class and adding stipple quilting in the software. A bit large for a mug rug, but it sure is pretty!
Put together a few more blocks then decided I needed another break!
Made some of those bowl pads for the microwave. These were fun & fast! Made a set of 3.
These can be used with either side up. Here's the small pad with the print side up.