Saturday, June 7, 2014

Learning Ruler Work

Well, I must say, this is not as easy as I thought it would be.  Watching videos of others doing ruler work on a quilt makes it look so easy.  NOT!  Ok, I'll admit I've only done a tiny bit on this quilt - the top 2 corners and setting triangles plus one small block, but that took most of the afternoon!  I could see as I stitched, I was getting a bit better.  There are some glaring mistakes (they don't really show up in the picture) that I may go back and redo, but for now I'm not going to worry about it.

The picture shows the corner design and outer setting triangles design as well as the small block.  These were done with curved rulers.  My round circular rulers didn't fit as nicely as this one - 6" Linda Mae's Rays from The Gadget Girls.  I'm also using another ruler that has a half circle on one end to make the curves in the squares - Versa Tool from Handi Gadgets.  Doing a bit of free motion in some solid areas.  I sorta wish I had not done the free motion in the center petal of the setting triangles, but it is what it is.  At least I'm quilting again and using rulers!! Whup Whup!!!
First attempt at ruler work
Since I'm using the rulers, I have the ruler base on my machine.  It limits the depth I can stitch.  I will have to do the large pieced blocks one half at a time.  Still not quite sure how to quilt them, but it will come, I'm sure.

So glad to be quilting and learning!

Keep on Stitchin'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment