After getting discouraged with the quilting on my frame and ripping out a block's worth of stitches, I decided I needed to play a little. Saw a picture of a block online which made me remember the pieces I had left over from the Eleanor Burns' Braid In A Day quilt that I made....which took me several days, more like weeks to get it done! So I pulled them out, found some background fabric in my stash, and discovered I could get probably 30 blocks!
Braid Quilt Leftovers
These come out to be 8.5" unfinished. Some angles are left, some are right, but I bet I can get a decent layout for another donation quilt from this. Oh my....did I really just start ANOTHER project???????
Ok, so now maybe I'll get back to quilting and work on this new project during 'rest' periods between quilting sessions.............
We visited St. Louis with this block. I've been feeling a bit 'iffy' about the colors I'm using - pinks, grays, & greens, but as I go along, I can see the blocks looking better together. It'll be a pretty quilt after all, I hope!
This was a fun block to put together. AND...it came out the perfect size for a change!!!
Well, I must say, this is not as easy as I thought it would be. Watching videos of others doing ruler work on a quilt makes it look so easy. NOT! Ok, I'll admit I've only done a tiny bit on this quilt - the top 2 corners and setting triangles plus one small block, but that took most of the afternoon! I could see as I stitched, I was getting a bit better. There are some glaring mistakes (they don't really show up in the picture) that I may go back and redo, but for now I'm not going to worry about it.
The picture shows the corner design and outer setting triangles design as well as the small block. These were done with curved rulers. My round circular rulers didn't fit as nicely as this one - 6" Linda Mae's Rays from The Gadget Girls. I'm also using another ruler that has a half circle on one end to make the curves in the squares - Versa Tool from Handi Gadgets. Doing a bit of free motion in some solid areas. I sorta wish I had not done the free motion in the center petal of the setting triangles, but it is what it is. At least I'm quilting again and using rulers!! Whup Whup!!!
First attempt at ruler work
Since I'm using the rulers, I have the ruler base on my machine. It limits the depth I can stitch. I will have to do the large pieced blocks one half at a time. Still not quite sure how to quilt them, but it will come, I'm sure.