Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Rag Quilt Finished

Thought I'd post a shot of the rag quilt after washing.  Took it to a commercial laundry expecting to see washers with agitation.  Nope.  They were all front loader tumbling machines.  Washed it there anyway since those are heavier duty than mine.  The clips fuzzed up pretty well and will get fuzzier as the recipient washes it.

Rehana's Rag Quilt
Hope she likes it!

Keep on Stitchin'!

Monday, February 8, 2016

Splendid Sampler Quilt Along

Darn Pat Sloan and her friend Jane!  Roped me into another one! haha  First block comes out Feb 14, then every Sunday & Thursday.  These blocks are provided to us free from 80+ designers all over the world!  They will be 6" finished blocks, some pieced, some paper pieces, some applique, some to be hand done (yeah, right...I have a very smart machine! ).  Sure hope I can keep up.

I made the bonus/sample block for this upcoming quilt along. 
Bonus Block
Keep on Stitchin'!!

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

February's My Secret Garden Block

Killarney National Park Ireland is the name given to Block 2 of Pat Sloan's 2016 My Secret Garden BOM.
Block 2 -Feb 2016
I would have finished this morning except for sewing the 4 red point sections the wrong way. Hate when that happens!!  Glad I found my mistake before completely sewing the block together.

Keep on Stitchin'!!

Monday, February 1, 2016

Rag Quilt & Microwave Bowl Pads

The rag quilt is clipped and waiting for me to take to a commercial laundry for washing.  Guess I should do that this week! I'm sure Rehana is wishing she had this already with all that snow up north.
Rag Quilt before washing
I purchased a pair of Fiscars Rag Scissors.  They made such a difference in the clipping.  Hands still hurt some, but nothing like using a regular pair of scissors.

Finished up some Microwave Bowl Pads for my son.  Now he won't be trying to steal mine!!
Microwave Bowl Pads-Todd
Keep on Stitchin'!

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Splendid Sampler

Pat Sloan has roped me in again!  She has joined with 80 something quilters to create a 100 block sampler quilt.  Splendid Sampler is the name given for this 6" block sampler.  There is a Facebook page which must have broken records with the speed and number of people who joined!  The home site with all the info is here:  The Splendid Sampler

This sampler is to begin in February.  Hoping I can keep up with 2 blocks a week, I have chosen these fabrics for my sampler, all from my stash:
Splendid Sampler fabrics
 Here's to another year of quilting!

Keep on Stitchin'!!

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Using the Bernina 830 Stitch Counter

Working on sewing a 3.5" square onto a larger 6.5" square for a rag quilt.  I was hoping I could program the Bernina 830 machine to sew a square using the Multi-directional function and save it as a stitch so that it would sew the square with one push of the button.  That didn't work.  On to the Stitch Counter.  Success!  I can now press a button and the machine sews, the machine stops automatically, raise the presser foot using the FHS (knee lift), turn the fabric, repeat. I could have made the machine automatically raise the presser foot after stopping, but to me it takes too long.  I'm faster using the FHS.  Snapped photos of my method.  First I made myself a template of cardboard to mark one corner to start at the 5/8" mark.  All the rulers and templates that I have and none with the appropriate hole at the 5/8' mark! LOL
Cardboard Template
Here's a blurry shot (sorry) of the stitch counter.  It's the 123 button at the bottom. So easy to program, but it is a temporary stitch and will be gone when the machine is turned off.  So I made a note of how many stitches it takes so I can reprogram it easily tomorrow.  That's 24 stitches to make a 2 1/4" square.
Stitch Counter
And look here! Perfect squares every time! And mostly automatic.
Perfectly square automatic squares!
Keep on Stitchin'!!

Friday, January 15, 2016

Quilt by Request

I'm making another rag quilt.  I think I remember saying I'd never make another one of these after the mess in the washer from my son's quilt.  Well, never say never!  Son's girlfriend complains that he won't share his quilt with ANYONE! haha  So I'm making one for her.  As quilts go, these are very easy and very snuggly.  I've gotten all the flannel cut into squares and will begin the sewing process soon. 
Flannel Squares
I've decided not to use batting and just use the 2 layers of flannel.  However, I will be appliqueing a smaller square onto the larger one.  This will give me the extra layer as well as quilting to hold the layers together.  And I will be taking the finished quilt to a public laundry!!!

These beautiful flannels (except for the 2 bottom ones on the left side) all came from Connecting Threads.  The 2 odd ones were in my stash from a long time ago!

Going to see if I can program the Bernina 830 to sew either a square or at least a counted stitch length so all I need to do is push a button, turn, push a button, repeat.  I'm hoping programming a square will work for me.  One push on a button per square.  How cool would that be!!!!

Keep on Stitchin'!!